Topic: Teeworlds Installer for Windows

Hello everyone!

Since I think there should be an Installer for the windows version of Teeworlds, I made one using NSIS. Please try it and tell me what you think.

DOWNLOAD

Here's the NSIS Source (tested on Windows 7):

# this should be passed on command line via the /D switch
!define RELEASE_DIR "teeworlds"
!define SOURCE_DIR "source"
#########

!define NAME "Teeworlds"
!define COMPANY "teeworlds.com"
!define VERSION "0.6.1"

Name "${NAME} ${VERSION} Installer"
Icon "${SOURCE_DIR}\other\icons\Teeworlds.ico"

# define name of installer
#outFile "teeworlds-${VERSION}-installer.exe"
outFile "teeworlds-installer.exe"

# define installation directory
installDir "$PROGRAMFILES\${NAME}"

VIProductVersion "${VERSION}.0"
VIAddVersionKey "ProductName" "${NAME}"
VIAddVersionKey "Comments" ""
VIAddVersionKey "CompanyName" "${COMPANY}"
VIAddVersionKey "FileDescription" "${NAME} ${VERSION} Installer"
VIAddVersionKey "FileVersion" "${VERSION}"

# installer ui stuff
LicenseData "${RELEASE_DIR}\license.txt"

Page license
#Page components
Page directory
Page instfiles

UninstPage uninstConfirm
UninstPage instfiles

setcompressor /SOLID lzma

# default section
section

# set the installation directory as the destination for the following actions
    setOutPath $INSTDIR

file /r "${RELEASE_DIR}\*"
    createShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\${NAME}\Teeworlds.lnk" "$INSTDIR\teeworlds.exe"

# Uninstall information
    writeUninstaller "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"
    createShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\${NAME}\Uninstall.lnk" "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${NAME}" \
                 "DisplayName" "${NAME} ${VERSION}"
    WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${NAME}" \
                 "UninstallString" "$\"$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe$\""
sectionEnd

# uninstaller section start
section "uninstall"

# first, delete the uninstaller
    RMDir /r "$INSTDIR"

# second, remove the link from the start menu
    SetShellVarContext all
    RMDir /r "$SMPROGRAMS\${NAME}"

DeleteRegKey HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${NAME}"

# uninstaller section end
sectionEnd

2 (edited by Theolol 2011-10-29 14:57:16)

Re: Teeworlds Installer for Windows

It seems to be very nice :-)
Works out fine. (Using Windows 7, too)
Just few things caught my eye:
1.) No link was created on the desktop. Which would be very useful.
2.) After the installation the pop-up window closed without leaving any option to start teeworlds directly or showin' the created folders.

But I don't get the point of an installer for TW.
In my point of view the 'normal' way of gettin' TW was the most 'teeish' one 'coz it was so uncommon just to drag your game on the desktop & play it instantly.

But all in all it looks pretty nice to me smile
Good work, minus.

Greetings from Germany
Theo

3 (edited by TeePhoenix 2012-06-10 17:17:45)

Deleted.

The face of terrorism is called United States of America!

Seems nice but I prefer the Unzip 'n' Play way.
And you made a pull request for this on Github so I guess this is going to be the official teeworlds installation on Windows.

P.S. Maybe someone can make an installation for the linux version as well.

Once in a century...

TeePhoenix wrote:

Why? An installer for Teeworlds is just useless! Where is the improvment in using an installer?

Just unzip and run, it really cant be easier...

I hope that teeworlds will always support that easy, uncomplicated and fast way instead of an useless installer that brings potentialy new problems.

That is just from you point of view. Try to be a bit more open-minded about people less aware of computers than you. Some people who want to play Teeworlds jus tdon't know how to deal with zipped files, neither to find the right.exe in a folder (teeworlds.exe? teeworlds_srv.exe? Some are really shy and scared to randomly double click on executables).

I personally prefer the zipped way, extract 'n' go, and most of players here do, but you should think to other younger ones. I believe adding an installer download link would help quite a bunch of new players.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Theolol wrote:

1.) No link was created on the desktop. Which would be very useful.
2.) After the installation the pop-up window closed without leaving any option to start teeworlds directly or showin' the created folders.

But I don't get the point of an installer for TW.

Regarding 1): I didn't even think about that because I never use nor see my desktop big_smile I just use the start menu. Might add that though.
2) I don't see why you would want to open the installation directory. And for starting the game: Since the Installer runs as admin the game would too, which is not recommended. I'll put that on the ToDo aswell.

And the reason for the installer.. Some people just like their software installed, like with start menu links, it's also as easily removable through the uninstaller as by deleting the directory. It's not like we're gonna abolish the zip-package. (Maybe we should offer a 7z-package aswell? big_smile)

DARK HUNTER wrote:

Yeah, providing .debs and .rpms certainly is on my mind, but i have no experience in building those.

7 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2011-10-29 15:18:57)

DARK HUNTER wrote:

It allready exists. In Ubuntu, go to the Donwload and Installation Window (Were you look for software, [I dont remember the name of the Window]), search for "Teeworlds" and you will find it, donwload, automatic installation.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
DARK HUNTER wrote:

It allready exists. In Ubuntu, go to the Donwload and Installation Window (Wer you look for software, i dont remember the name of the Window), search for "Teeworlds" and you will find it, donwload, automatic installation and Use.

Those are usually not up to date though, at least for debian. And if we release a new version it will only show up in the next Ubuntu release (since it's no rolling release distribution like Arch Linux).

9 (edited by TeePhoenix 2012-06-10 17:17:37)

Deleted.

The face of terrorism is called United States of America!

10 (edited by Dune 2011-10-29 22:30:44)

I know several young players that have not stuck at downloading the right Teeworlds version but could not figure how to start the game out of the zipped file. I myself started playing the game at 12 and it took me about 10 minutes to understand there was no link in the startup menu and I had to double click the .exe from into the folder.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

A lot of windows users have mastered their os along with it's programs (such as WinZip) long before they found out about teeworlds.

Once in a century...

DARK HUNTER wrote:

A lot of windows users have mastered their os along with it's programs (such as WinZip) long before they found out about teeworlds.

And because lot of Linux users have mastered shell before they discovered Teeworlds we should only make Teeworlds downloadable for Linux via the appget console system?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

13 (edited by Theolol 2011-10-29 23:00:16)

I think you're making too much of a meal out of it.
We should concentrate on improving the installer - as far as it is possible.

m!nus wrote:

It's not like we're gonna abolish the zip-package.

So it isn't all about the problem whether we should use the installer as the one and only option or not.
It's 'bout improving the installer to make it more comfortable for "new users".

Dune wrote:

And because lot of Linux users have mastered shell before they discovered Teeworlds we should only make Teeworlds downloadable for Linux via the appget console system?

I wrote:

Once in a century...

Dunno why you downvoted Dune. He isn't saying 'Windows users are too dumb to open a zip file, he says: 'Some people who use Windows don't know how to open a zip file'

Useful... more users can enjoy this wonderful game.