Topic: [BUG] Modifying maps in a bad way

I have found a bug which allows to make maps where the focus of the tee isn't centered (screenshot). I have given the #6 Game group an offset (Pos X) of 320 which isn't normally allowed in the map editor. The steps for giving an illegal offset are:

1. Moving the #1 Game layer to group #5.
2. Save the map and reload it in the map editor.
3. Now the #6 Game group has switched to the Game layer in group #5 so the real game group is now just a simple layer group. After this I can give the #6 Layer group the offset and other things that I want.

The example map can be downloaded here.

Re: [BUG] Modifying maps in a bad way

I think, that isn't bug. That is feature

To developers: PLEASE, don't fix this bug. That's nice.

I think this bug must be solved because we've already started to see first bugged map since you posted the "how-to" guide. That's not a good thing.
You should open a ticket in the trac http://www.teeworlds.com/trac/teeworlds/report

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

4 (edited by Deleted User 2010-04-14 23:34:18)

The Trac doesn't seem to be open for public ticket creation (here I asked). This prevent spam but it seems that the developers haven't enough time to refresh all in the Trac. Even not all of the posted potential bugs here in the forum are listed there. The best thing should be to make the ticket creation public.

Edit: oy removed 8 hours before in revision 2318 the possibility to configure the group or the detail of the Game layer. So it's not possible to create such bad maps in the map editor but this is only a client-side protection. There is still missing a server-side validation. The teeworlds server should check if there is an invalid attribute in the Game group set (Pos X, Pos Y, Para X, Para Y, Use Clipping, Clip X, Clip Y, Clip W, Clip H) and if the Game Layer is moved in an invalid group. If that happens the server shouldn't load the map.

Edit 2: oy fixed the validation in revision 2319. I tried some other things to create a manipulated map but i can't find a way.