Topic: [PROJECT] CTF Pickups

Captain games are popular on high level ctf servers. However it is not always ideal, due to: afk people, people leaving during the game, servers full, lack of admins etc. I believe the pickups on irc, like on other games (quake, dota) could solve these problems. Thanks to Rajh and Kottizen, there is a bot on the channel #teefun on quakenet which let us do ctf pickups.

The current default configuration is: 5on5 ctf.

Everybody is welcome as long as the rules are followed.

How to join #teefun on quakenet:
- with an internet browser: http://webchat.quakenet.org/
- on Windows, you can use: Mirc (http://www.mirc.com/), xchat (http://www.silverex.org/news/)
- on Linux: xchat

What is a pickup game?
Pickup games are organized by people who like to have a decent, fun game. The idea should be that players don’t leave during the game and that each team uses at least some basic teamplay in which, for example, attackers and defenders are selected before each match. These pickup games are formed on IRC on quakenet. Join the #teefun channel to join in for a game when you think you’re ready!

How does this work?
When enough players have added, a server will be launched with a random password. A bot will pm you with the name, the ip and the password of the server. Once all players joined, two captains are choose by players. Everyone except the captains spec and the captains decide them-self or fight each other to know who will start to pick. Ready up and go!
Read the rules, they are important!

Available commands:
    * !add : add yourself for a capture the flag game
    * !remove : removes yourself from the game you signed up for
    * !teams : see who is added

Rules
    * Use the same nickname on irc and on the server
    * Picking order is 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1
    * Be swift during pickup: don’t waste each others time by joining late from irc or by jumping/shooting around foolishly. Join the server, spectate, join the game when chosen, vote yes on the mapvote, arrange player positions, and ready up.
    * Channel language is English oriented, respect this!
    * If you are added to a pickup that you can't play anymore, try to find a sub or a spec to take your place. However, others should not find a sub/spec for you, you should do this yourself.

Remarks
It is up to all players to help out captains who don’t know everybody. Help them pick wisely to make balanced teams and the match will be more pleasant and balanced!

If there are any further questions or comment, contact an admin on #teefun on QuakeNet.

Source: http://www.holysh1t.net/rules/

Re: [PROJECT] CTF Pickups

Good idea, captain games has to be a bit more organized. Sometimes the captain game is alike to public, cause players are leaving when they want to, and other players are joining except of them without asking if the team is agree to take him. Perhaps such a pro mode will change their attitude to the captain games.

Stay wild big_smile

3 (edited by vandal 2010-01-24 17:15:48)

Free burgers for everyone on IRC channel #teefun! Join now!

teeworlds pickup, second edition ;}

Thanks for implementing this project. When I see user-made contributions like this I am certain that there is a bright future ahead for teeworlds. And I dont mean developement only, a project like this can certainly help in making the community more mature and friendly.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

this is an awesome idea big_smile

MertenNor

->My 24/7 servers: [NOR] Norwegian HUB <- Back Online !! big_smile
( My grammar is getting better ! smile I think.. )
-Norway

This was so much needed, hoping for many people to join and participate!

This project is very importat for the Community - sticky plz.

There are some news. Fearyos provides now the servers, it should provide better pings to everyone.

Also Rajh update the bot on irc, there are now two pickups at once:
- ctf2 5on5
- ctf3 3on3

New commands:
!add : to add you at both games, when one game starts you are removed from the other one
!add ctf2 : to add you to the ctf2 game
!add ctf3 : to add you to the ctf3 game
!remove : to remove you from all games
Type !help, to know the other commands.

If you have any ideas, we could add more pickups.

9 (edited by grummi 2010-02-12 20:40:09)

I made a python script for xchat that plays a sound when a captain game starts. That way you won't miss a game even if you are not checking the channel the whole time.
There is also an option to automatically remove you from a game after an adjustable time.

You can find it here.
A download link is at the top.
Installation instructions and available commands are at the top of the script.

[Edit] Fixed a bug.

aka cheesy

Thanks Rajh and Kottizen!
And thanks for Ubu for telling us this, this is a great idea!
~no more noob waves~

USA pride. What now.